Thursday, September 13, 2012

Holy Kale, Batman!

The only green thing that I have ever gotten excited about eating is a big bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream!!  Well, my mom used to make these incredible green grasshopper parfaits with creme de menthe that were ahhhh-mazing, but I digress......

In my new Paleo world, greens are key -  which meant I had to broaden my horizons.  I tolerated and even occasionally enjoyed broccoli, romaine, and spinach.  But every cookbook I read or blog I visited always mentioned kale.   I'm embrassed to admit that I had no idea what kale was really.  Well, to be honest, I thought they were those pretty, colorful leaves used on banquet tables for decoration!



Turns out, that is exactly what kale is - and ornamental kale is as edible as all the other varieties.

Kale is a form of cabbage.  It is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, and even calcium. When chopped, kale even contains sulforaphane, a chemical with potent anti-cancer properties. 

I have learned that kale freezes really well and even tastes sweeter once it has been frozen.  Kale is  very versatile; being an intense raw addition to salads;  sauteed with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper for a savory side dish; or even dehydrated into a potato chip-like consistency for snacking. 

According to www.whfoods.org, "Kale's nutrient richness stands out in three particular areas:  1. antioxident nutrients, 2.  anti-inflammatory nutrients, and 3.  anti-cancer nutrients in the form of glucosinolates.  Without sufficient intake of antioxidents, our oxygen metabolism can become compromised, and we can experience a metabolic problem called "oxidative stress."  Without sufficient intake of anti-inflammatory nutrients, regulation of our inflammatory system can become compromised, and we can experience the problem of chronic inflammation.  Oxidative stress and chronic inflammation - and the combination of these metabolic problems - are risk factors for development of cancer.  We've seen research studies on 5 specific types of cancer - including bladder cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, ovarian cancer, and prostate cancer - and intake of cruciferous vegetables (specifically kale).  As a group, these studies definitely show cancer preventative benefits from kale intake, and in some cases, treatment benefits as well."

All those big fancy scientific words aside, bottom line, Kale sounded like something I should include in my new 'eat to live' plan.  So, I did my research, a little experimenting, and have a couple of my favorite kale recipes to share:

Sauteed Kale
2 bunches of kale (be sure to remove the stems and ribs and chop thinly)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
1 smashed garlic clove
1 lime
In pan on low heat, saute olive oil and garlic.  Garlic can burn quickly, so watch carefully.  Add Kale, salt and mix together, sauteeing until kale is tender.  Add the juice of the lime at the end for brightness and added flavor.  Done.  Delicious.  Enjoy.

Sneaky Kale Smoothie
("Sneaky" because my husband hates kale.  But what he doesn't know is the smoothie he just devoured, had kale in it!!  Shhhh.)
1/2 cup of blueberries
1/2 cup of raspberries
2 tablespoons of almond butter
1 bunch of kale (stems and ribs removed, chopped very thinly)
2 ripe bananas
Ice
Blend on highest setting (mine says smoothie) until desired consistency.  Yum.



Did I seriously just devote an entire blog post to KALE???  I really did and I am here to tell you that although this kale smoothie may not be mint chocolate chip ice cream, it is my new favorite dessert with benefits!!

Next, I really want to try dehydrating that magical green and make some "chips'!  Stay tuned.  Until then, Stay Healthy!  Be Happy!


2 comments:

  1. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/crispy-kale-chips-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents made the kale chips a few weeks ago and liked them!

    ReplyDelete